The Old Becomes New... And What I Found in the Attic!

Old Kitchen Walls (and a big ole mess)
Last night, I decided to take a look at the progress that has been happening at the house.  Up until now this has been more of a backwards slide.  Things were demo'd and torn out leaving little but the structure left to recognize.  Somehow, I had managed to become fascinated with the antiquity of it all. From the construction of this amazing home to the antique wallpaper hanging on by a thread.  So, naturally, when I walked into this huge kitchen, which I had grown to love in its stripped down state, I had the strangest feeling.  There, hanging on the walls, over the tattered old wallpaper, was brand new drywall.  Drywall covering the would be memories from someone's past.  



New Walls
There is something about the newness that makes me feel melancholy.  I know it is a bit unreasonable since I have never lived in the home and have no memories in this home to cherish.  I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic about what was and what might have been.  The history and the stories that must have been told by the family and friends who once sat at a table in the kitchen, over a piece of (mulberry?  There is a huge mulberry tree in the backyard!) pie and a cup of coffee.  


I plan to do some digging into the actual history of the home.  You know, just because I can't help myself.  (Stalker-ish, I know...)  And then maybe knowing the history will make me feel more comfortable about the changes we are making.  


Goodbye Old Wallpaper - Hello New Walls & New Memories
Though the old wallpaper is gone from sight, it is still there, and maybe in 50 more years another new family will make their own little discoveries and day dream about us.  So, today, I am grateful for the memories that I am making with my family.  Every day of grace is a gift and the smallest things can make a memory.  Make each one count.


Oh, and I wanted to show you what I found in the attic.  I'll show you a pic (cell phone pictures aren't really that great...) and let you figure it out.  ;-p


~Jen


If you squint you might be able to figure it out!

Up close and personal

Got it yet? (And there are three of these!)

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Popular Posts