Shopping for a Farmhouse

While all of the fun business of scraping ceilings, sanding woodwork and tiling is going on over at the farmhouse (thank you, Russell Moore and AUSAM Construction, http://ausamconstruction.com/)  I got down to business with the important things!  SHOPPING!
Actually, as a family, we drove down to the big city of Dallas to check out one of the coolest stores that I have ever been to.  If you are into 'reduce, reuse and recycle', then this is the place for you.  Discount Home Warehouse, check it out at  http://www.dhwsalvage.com/ .  I know you must be wondering what we purchased, but maybe you should remember that patience is a virtue...  Bwahahahaha!

 Ahemmm....  did I mention it is 12:30 AM as I am writing this and I just ate a bowl of grape sherbet?  That really explains so much.


We arrived at about 9:30 on Saturday morning with a truck ready to load up with antique doors that had been removed from demolished homes nearby.  Although it makes me sad to see an old and possibly historic home demolished, I am so glad that there is a company there to pull all of the character out of it before it is torn down.  This place is a cornucopia of architectural goodness!  Our newest friend, Larry, was so kind to show us around and help us find the perfect doors to replace some on the back of the house.  

Yippee Skippy!  Door Number One.
We were so happy to find doors that match the style of the front door and now we are able to keep the continuity going.  This store stocks so many different items and most are one of a kind.  I saw gorgeous islands with granite tops in the warehouse along with a room filled top to bottom with blinds and plantation shutters.  There were vintage sinks, a couple of really old ranges and a plethora of  light fixtures.  Oh, the light fixtures, I felt like a kid in a candy store.  There were so many beautiful chandeliers that I honestly got a bit overwhelmed by the shear brilliance of them all.  See how I did that? 

Giant Back Door of Debate... more on that later
You will want to take a list of items you are or could possibly be looking for along with a tape measure and your list of measurements.  Be prepared to make your purchase the day you go because it is likely that your one of kind something will not be there when you decide to return.

Happy Hunting! 

Today I am grateful for the rain, because even though it sometimes forces us to change our plans, our beautiful green grass grows, the flowers bloom and the air just smells clean.  Sometimes we just need that.  I am also thankful that our local Dollar General has lots of umbrellas because I can't ever find mine so I bought four of them this morning.  ;-)

~Jen


Comments

Popular Posts